Classic Carrot Cake
When it comes to carrot cake recipes, we like to keep it classic. Layers of moist, nutty cake loaded with orange laced cream cheese frosting is about as good as it gets and sometimes you just don't mess with success.
CLASSIC CARROT CAKE
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 large eggs (room temperature)
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
3 cups finely shredded carrots (about 1 lb)
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Coat two 8" round pans with baking spray, line with parchment and then coat the parchment with spray.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated and dark brown sugar.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs on low until frothy (about 1 minute). Switch the mixer to medium high and slowly add in the sugars. Continue to beat the mixture until it's light in color and thickened (about 4 minutes).
5. Switch the mixer to low and slowly drizzle in the vegetable oil.
6. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated.
7. Take the bowl off the mixer and fold in the nuts and carrots by hand.
8. Divide between the two pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the center springs back when touched.