CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM RECIPE
3 sticks unsalted butter, slightly softened
5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
6 tablespoons heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1) Combine the powdered sugar, cocoa and salt in one bowl
2) In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
3) Set the mixer on low and slowly spoon in half of the dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated and then add half of the heavy cream.
4) Scrape down the bowl and repeat with the remaining dry ingredients, followed by the heavy cream.
5) Once the icing is thoroughly combined, set the mixer to medium and beat the frosting for 30 seconds or so, until light and fluffy.
This buttercream can be stored for up to 10 days in the fridge. Place in an air tight container with plastic wrap pressed to the surface of the buttercream for best results. Bring back to room temperature and vigorously stir by hand with a rubber spatula before reusing.
It can also be frozen for up to one month. Once again, bring back to room temperature and stir by hand with a rubber spatula before reusing.