This moist spicy buttermilk cake is perfect for fall and winter and tastes amazing with our Classic Cream Cheese Icing.
This recipe makes 3 – 8″ cake layers or 2 – 9″ cake layers.
Buttermilk Spice Cake Ingredients:
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
Buttermilk Spice Cake Recipe
- 3, 8″ cake pans.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Switch the mixer to low and add one egg at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- On low speed, add 1/4 of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add 1/3 of the buttermilk, once again mixing thoroughly and scraping down the bowl. Repeat with the wet and dry ingredients, ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into pans and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans.Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to firm up before icing.